Orange Cash prepaid MasterCard® card & EE Cash on Tap
EE is the UK’s most advanced digital communications company, offering superfast 4G mobile and Fibre Broadband services. With its EE, Orange and T-Mobile plans, the company consistently provides more than 27 million customers with superior service, backed by Britain’s overall biggest and fastest mobile network.
Working in partnership with EE, PrePay Solutions launched the Orange Cash prepaid MasterCard® Card, the UK’s first major contactless prepaid MasterCard, in 2011. The Orange Cash Card is a secure alternative to carrying around cash and can be used in over 30 million locations that accept MasterCard within the UK and abroad, as well as online.
The client’s brief was to build on the existing capability of PrePay Solutions’ Splash Plastic Card and deliver a product that was more aligned to the Orange brand and mobile functionality. EE also had two additional requirements for the project: it wanted to incorporate a loyalty element into the card and wanted to make it easier for cardholders to manage their account via a mobile app.
Custom functionality was also built-in to meet the specific needs of the mobile sector, including:
- Loyalty points – customers can collect and redeem loyalty points in a separate wallet. As they spend, Orange Cash customers earn reward points that are redeemable against a great range of rewards including Pay As You Go Orange texts, airtime, credit and Orange shop vouchers;
- Transfers – Ability to send P2P transfers directly from customers’ mobile phones using their prepaid card balance;
- Contactless card – contactless chip has been certified by the card manufacturer;
- Bespoke top-up network – integrated with EPay in the Orange retail stores (as they were at the time) to enable a top-up network in the Orange and EE stores, with minimal impact on the point of sale (PoS).
PrePay Solutions took full responsibility for transaction processing, e-money issuing, eWallet provision, compliance and fraud services, supply chain management and customer services for the entire project, whilst EE focussed on programme management, marketing and distribution. Barclaycard took on the role of BIN sponsor.
In 2013, in partnership with EE, PrePay Solutions also launched EE’s ‘Cash on Tap’ service, one of the first NFC payment solutions in the prepaid market and the UK payment industry. The product is supported through a proprietary mobile application service that enables a mobile app and NFC phone to provide an extensive set of options including:
- NFC payments – through MasterCard® PayPass;
- Online payments – via a virtual MasterCard® card;
- A simple application process – via a mobile app or a virtual MasterCard®;
- Easy loading options – via bank transfer, debit and credit cards;
- Customer management and control – self-service balance enquiries and transaction history;
“There’s been a lot of anticipation in the market for a solution that delivers on the promise of mobile payments, and this project with EE makes mobile wallets a reality,” says Ray Brash , Managing Director , PrePay Solutions. “With Orange Cash, users can now benefit from a powerful combination of convenience and control.”